We are in a large transition right now. The short of it is, the Air Force gave Jake orders to move to Andrews, AFB in Maryland in which we sent all our household items over there and moved out of our house June 10. However, June 16, we found out they want Jake to move to Spangdahlem, Germany instead! So, we are now flying there on August 2nd and will have lived at around 7 different locations by that time. We have had to get passports for everyone and get a HUGE packet of information filled out (that involves numberless signatures from various people), as well as figure out how to ship 2 dogs (that deserves it's own post alone. Someday, I am going to write down the ins and outs of everything military because you have to learn EVERYTHING by word of mouth and figure out who is telling the truth- annoying!) I don't think I could type everything that we have had to do so far and yet we still have more to do!
Once we finally make it to Germany, we have to find a house. However, our household goods will not arrive until October (if we are lucky) but they have a furniture lending library there that we can use until that time. Our car will be shipped the same day as we fly out from Dallas so it won't arrive for 45-60 days either. We will buy a little run around car once we get there (thank heavens we only have 3 kids right now).
It's kind of funny because there is a little bit of the Atwood family in 4 states and two countries right now: We have items in storage in San Antonio, TX and Andrews AFB, Maryland. We are in Wyoming and have mail being sent to Utah. We also have mail in Germany. I have been asked what my address is at various stores and I wonder what they think when I answer them with a blank stare on my face and say, "Uuuuhhh....I'm not sure...." It just makes me laugh thinking about it.
I guess it's true what they say, "Home is where your heart is" because ours is in... Wyoming, Utah, Maryland, Texas, Ohio, and will soon be... in Germany. Ask us where we want to settle someday and the answer will be that same blank stare and "Uuuuuhhhh...I'm not sure...."
9 years ago
4 comments:
So "Firepits" finally got the latest. I think a lot of military wifes would appreciate your "manual" of advise from the field, sort of speak -- with the infusion of your great sense-of-humor and style, it could even be a best seller with the lay population! Enjoy the ride . . . and we'll enjoy your reports from along the way!
Love and Safe Travels to the Atwoods from some Ohio hearts that miss you,
DorothySandy
These Wyoming hearts are already missing you. We're very grateful we got to spend some precious time with you.
Can't wait to see you on this side of the world!!! I actually need to talk to you-- pencil me in for tomorrow, alright?
Gosh you've been through alot. I can't even imagine. Well I've heard countless times how incredible Spangdahlem is and so hopefully you feel the same. Once you feel somewhat settled please give me a buzz via email or skype. Good luck with the long flight, and I'm so excited for you.
Post a Comment