Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Mustaches and other Atwood goings on

In the Air Force, the only facial hair you are allowed to wear is a clean cut mustache. That's it. I would like to take the person that made that rule, over my knee and swat them a good one!!!

Jake and the other members of his class in the Prostho Residency (there are 3 others) foolishly concocted a rule to go with the previous one. Every Resident has to take a turn being Chief Resident. This lasts for 3 months. Their rule is that while you are Chief, you have to have a mustache OR you will be bringing donuts in every week during Chief. Jake's turn was November-January... or otherwise known as, "the worst months of my married life." Being cheap, he chose to don the blessed mustache. Don't worry, I threw up a little in my mouth as well at the thought.

However, I was a trooper and supported him in this act of pure idiocy. He wore it faithfully even though most of the comments from his patients were something like "wow, you used to be so handsome, why are you wearing that?"

I took these pictures right before he shaved it off. My friend Becky bought me this t-shirt so I had to make Jake wear it for the pics. Isn't it splendid?!?

I did tell Jake I would make out with him for 10 minutes straight because I will be so happy for it to be gone!

We made it to 2 minutes before we were too tired. Oh well.
Snow in Texas?!? Yuppers. It was great, the whole 2 cm. of it. But there was ice underneath so all the freeways were closed off and schools cancelled! Yah!!! Even Jake was able to stay home all day. It was like Christmas!!

The best part was watching the news. One newscaster did a special on removing ice from your windshield. She held up an ice scraper and said, "This is an ice scraper. I just learned that today." She continued to tell us of different ways we can remove the 2 cm. thick of ice on our windshields. Amongst those things were a spatula, library card (which, after being unsuccessful with this, she suggested using it to get the snow off the hood), 3 tblsp. of alcohol in the windshield fluid, or spraying on a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.

Jake's and my solution? Turn on the car and it will be melted in seconds by the defroster.
Jenga. Haven't played this for years. We saw it on sale during Christmas so we had to buy it. One of Jake's teachers and our friend Paul (or "Uncle Pauly" to the kids) came over for dinner. After which, we had a screamin' game of Jenga. It got to the point where there weren't any other options so I opted for the "sweep the table cloth out from under the dishes" procedure. Ya, it didn't work but it was fun trying.
Daxlee, Daxlee, Daxlee... what are we going to do with her? This is the after effects of her getting in my mascara. This is a common occurrence. I have started locking our bedroom door everyday... and the bathrooms (except for one because... well, we need to go somewhere right?)

Speaking of bathrooms. Our little "broke it" (Daxlee's most commonly used phrase) has been pondering whether to be potty trained or not. She goes on the toilet when I put her there but has yet to actually ask to go. She has gone a whole day without a wet diaper (solids is another story) but I have to take her every hour. So, I have decided to just let her do it if she wants. Of course, that doesn't work for D. She now will pee or poo in her diaper and take it off because... well it's uncomfortable I guess. So, do I force the issue of potty training? I don't know.
This next picture cracks me up!! That is her "say cheese" face yet it looks as though...as though... well, she just looks very focused.

1 comment:

Becky Foster said...

I'm proud of you for making out for a whole 2 minutes. Just keep on trying, and maybe you'll be able to add another minute or two.