Friday, January 16, 2009

And the next thing you know...

You find out you are pregnant and the next thing you know... you have a baby! Yup, that's what I did on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

It all started when I went to my ultrasound appointment Tuesday morning. I've been being monitored on a regular basis because the baby has been on the smaller side. So, my docs didn't want to take any chances with the baby having "stress" and wanted to make sure there weren't any complications. The ultrasound showed that there was extra blood flow to the brain and that the abdomen was measuring a little smaller than the week before. The doctor gave me the update of what he saw in the ultrasound and said, "So, I know you probably have plans and everything so why don't you go home, get things situated then come back and we'll induce you. I would like to see the baby here by tomorrow morning."

I just kind of looked at him and said, "Soooo... you want me to come back ... to the hospital... to have the baby... today?"

"Yup"

Me with probably a really dumb look on my face, "Oh, okay. Umm, yeah, that would be great. I'll go get things put together and be back. ... so I just walk in to labor and delivery? Do I need to do anything?"

The Doctor, looking at me and probably thinking, "you really are pregnant aren't you? You're getting slower every minute." But instead says, "Yeah, I'll have it all set up just get everything situated and come on in."

I really was shocked because I didn't expect this so soon. Usually, they say something like, "Well, let's set an induction date. When would you like to do it?" I didn't wake up that morning thinking it would be that day. Crazy. Anywho...
Long story short, everything was situated and Jake and I went to the hospital ready to have the little lamb. After many hours of the most horrible time in my (and Jake's) life (I will definitely save the details), we had our little lamb at 4:39am on Wednesday morning.
Now, an important thing to note here is that this pregnancy, has been sooooo much like Gage's pregnancy. I felt the exact same, the baby was positioned the same, had the same cravings and all. Molli's was very different. So, with that said, we were almost positive it was a boy (although, we never chose to find out by ultrasound). We really didn't have many doubts and if you asked us, "what if it's a girl?" We would have said, "We would be way surprised but not dissappointed." We had Dax Henry picked out for his name and everything. Jake has even been referring to the baby as a "he" the whole time (I've been a little more reserved and stuck with "himmer").

When I was having the baby, the nurse said, "Here it comes. It's a..........................little girl!!!" Jake and I just looked at each other and said, "Really?!?" We were so shocked! I really couldn't believe it and still kind of don't. But that made the whole experience even more fun. It was just such a huge and fun surprise!

So, thus our little girl was born and the painstaking process of figuring out a name for her began.

Day 1, her name was Layni Dawn. I chose this one and was quite proud that we figured it out so quickly. However, it didn't take long before we started referring to her as "the baby" again because it just didn't fit.Day 2, her name was Elli Dawn. Jake's choice - I wasn't completely set on it - and back to "the baby" it was. It's funny because we even had a hard time referring to her as a "her" sometimes. It was weird yet really fun and exciting. Like a big Christmas surprise all over again!The night of Day 2. We had had it! I was being released the next morning and this baby needed a name. So we sat down and wrote down all the names we were thinking of and how we would spell them. All of them ended with the "ie" sound for some reason: Riley, Layni, Ellie, Jacey, Addy, and so on. But we just couldn't commit. (One nurse said, "well as long as you don't name her (it was said this way) 'Absidee', you are good." I asked her why that was. She said, "Every so often, we get a pregnant teenager in here that thinks it would be a great idea to name their kid that and spell it: Abcde.")

Our nurse the night of the 2nd day came in while we were hashing it out, and said, "Oh, are you the ones that were expecting a boy but got a girl?" I thought, "Sweet, we are totally going down in the record books here!"

"Have you picked a name?"

Us, "Well, no. We're still trying to figure that out."

She said, "What were you going to name it if it was a boy?"

"Dax Henry." And that got us thinking, what if we still named her Dax but added the "ie" ending to make it feminine. That way we're still calling her what we've been calling her all along. So, thus we finally came up with the name:

Daxlee Dawn Atwood
She was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 19 1/2 inches longIt's kind of funny because if you look at the picture below, you will notice she has a crooked nose! It's so cute. I had a bi-lobed placenta and her head was always stuck in-between it. In one of my ultrasound pics (see previous post with ultrasound picture of bi-lobed placenta for reference), her nose was partially covered by the placenta and now it's crooked. The docs say it will fix itself but in the meantime, it's cute because she is always snorting.
Jake bought her a cute little soft pink piggy. It suits her well.The kids absolutely love her. It was really funny though, after I had just barely had Daxlee, I called the Foster's (who were tending Molli and Gage). Becky said that the night before, Gage kept talking about how he was having a baby brother. I got on the phone with Gage and said, "Hey buddy! Guess what? We had a baby girl!!"

Silence.

Then, "Mom, your just tricking me aren't you?"

I laughed and said, "Nope buddy. She's a cute little girl."

He said, "Oh,... well, is she still sleeping in my room?"

"Yes."

"Okay." Then, he gave the phone back to Becky.

He cracks me up. Molli and Gage can't get enough of Daxlee though and think she is the greatest gift on earth. I love our kids so much and love this new little addition... even if we forget she's a girl... and can't remember her name because it's so different.... and still catch ourselves calling her "the baby".

34 comments:

Sherrie said...

Congratulations you guys! She is so cute! And I love her name. :)

The Larsons said...

SHE is so adorable!!! What a fun thing to be surprised! REALLY surprised. How cute that you transformed your name. What a fun idea. I am sure you were happy with your doc at that apt.! No time to get stressed. Although it sounds like it wasn't a good experience (and I would love to hear details.:) ) So how early was she? Funny thing... my sister delivered her little boy on Wednesday also. :) Congrats again! What a cute little family you have!

The Larsons said...

Oh, and her baby weighed 7lbs. 1 oz. ... Jay is his name.

Hayley said...

welcome little daxlee! i LOVE the nose! what a cutie.

Anonymous said...

okay guys you did again. she is beautiful, can't wait to meet her for real. love the family pic as well. all the best The Mayor

PalsRWe said...

Way to go, you cute Mommy. It's Amazing how things turn out, she is a cutie!!! Tell Gage we said "Hi" and to enjoy being an even bigger brother to another sweet little sister. We miss you, and wish we were closer to help you out, you were such a huge support during our crazy Months of welcoming Kaedyn It's almost been a year, "Amazing" Luvs, Brent, Kiley & Kaedyn

Becky Foster said...

Yay! I love this post. So happy, so cute. I Love love love. Hope you're doing well. I just can't wait to hold Daxlee again!!

TOVAR said...

I have to confess that I was dying to hear all the gruesome details. So, if ever you're wanting to vent all the pent up craziness that happened, you have a ready audience. Congrats on the cute girl. Nice work on keeping Dax but tweaking it to a girls name. I love the nose. Talia came out with a gorilla looking nose. See you when we see you. Fernando will check with Jake to see when you need foodies and what not. We would also love to help watch gage and molli whenever. Get some rest.

Janene said...

She is beautiful--seriously! I love her nose--so cute!

GoatesGirl said...

Congrats! Another darling Atwood. I love her name!

Haley said...

Way to go Sabrina. I was wanting delivery details, but I guess I will have to wait! She is precious!

Haley said...

And great choice on the piggie, we LOVE ours too.

Jordana said...

Congrats you guys, she is such a little sweetie! How fun that you were so surprised. Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and enjoying Dax.

gregandlaura said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH - so happy for you guys! She is so perfect and adorable! Now I REALLY want to come visit -need a little baby fix. :) SO FUN!! congrats!! We miss you guys!

texaspencers said...

Ahhh little Daxlee and her nose. I can't wait to come and meet her (as soon as I'm positive I won't infect you and yours with the Spencer cursed virus we'll be coming over) She's dang cute. Can't wait to start scrapbooking her baby book...oh wait, we first should work on Mollie's ;) No joke we almost came over today to play guitar hero but thought better of it. Take care.

Rachel said...

Congrats! You have a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Congratulations!! Daxlee is absolutely lovely! How blessed you are to have three amazing, perfect babies!!
We're thinking of you all and miss you guys a bunch!

All the best! Love, the Kovach's

Amy said...

Yeah!! Congratulations! We were so excited to hear the news (Darren and I are both sitting here at the computer). She's beautiful! How fun for Molli to have a sister close to her age. Cute family picture and we love the nose :)!

Sydney said...

Congrats on a beautiful baby girl!

Natalie said...

Oh she is so adorable! I can't believe how fast that pregnancy went. For me anyway :) You guys are the best...you do cute kiddos.

Becky said...

She really is a sweetie! You guys sure have a cute little family there... seriously, call me if you need me!

Welch TLC said...

CONGRATS MAMA & PAPA!! We are so happy for you and your family. She is beautiful! I am so happy she arrived healthy and arrived safely. Sabrina, I hope you are doing ok, those deliveries are truely a labor of love. Again, SO exciting and Congrats!
Much love, Laura

Roukema Family said...

Congratulations Sabrina!! Wasn't it so fun, not finding out the sex? I am so proud of you for waiting! What a gorgeous family you guys are, and so blessed.

Ashlee and Shane said...

Congratulations! I love her name! It is pretty and unique! And i LOVE the story about her nose! That is so funny! :) And what a fun way to be completely surprised! :) Will you email me and tell me about your labor and delivery with your kids?! I am wondering if they have gotten easier with each one or not really? I am so scared to have a vbac b/c of what happened with Gavin's birth. If you could email me and fill me in on your experience i would so appreciate it!!! :)

A'Lisha said...

CONGRATS!! WHAT A LITTLE SWEETHEART! I THINK DAXLEE SUITS HER PERFECTLY !

Cannon Clan said...

sabrina! she is adorable! your family looks so cute! congratulations!

Tiffani Hamilton said...

Congrats! You look great and she is so cute!

Brooke said...

congrats Sabrina! What a beatiful little girl...and I LOVE the name. Your post was so fun to read! You have a very cute family!! congratulations!

Morgan said...

Congratulations Sabrina! She is beautiful!!!

Annie said...

She's adorable. I'm so happy for you and your family!

n8 said...

This is Deanna. I am using Nate's email because it still says that my email address isn't invited. I tried both the gmail address and the hotmail address. Anyhoo...Very cute baby! I love how you ended up with the name. That makes twenty-five now, I think. -Dee

MetroParks said...

She looks like an Atwood!!! Gorgeous. Her soft little baby fuzz makes me so baby hungry. Maybe her nose is just bent out of shape because you dressed her in that quilted Christmas jumper/sweater last month. LOL. She is going to be your fashion queen.

Becca said...

Daxlee is so beautiful even with her crooked nose. It was fun to hear the story of her name. I too was waiting to hear the gruesome details. You have a very beautiful family!

thekerrclan said...

Congratulations...what a cutie...and I love her name.