Monday, October 13, 2008

Chalk Bluff

We went with the Jones' and Anderson's to Uvalde, TX to go camping at Chalk Bluff this weekend. I have to admit, I really wanted to stay here and go to Sea World but am really glad we went camping instead. I was talking to the other girls about why we like camping. For a minute, I wasn't really sure what it is about camping that makes me keep going but after some thought I figured it out. There are many reasons but the top ones are:
1. I love being out in nature with my family, getting dirty, and not caring.
2. I LOVE sitting around the camp fire at night with our friends and talking about absolutely nothing of importance. We just talk and laugh all night.
3. I really love camp food. i.e. Hobo dinners (or tin foil depending on who you ask), pancakes on the cast iron griddle, banana boats, peach cobbler, dutch oven anything...and so much more! It is always sooooooo good even if it lands in the dirt!
4. Hiking. I love hiking and feeling like you are the first people to discover the scenery around you (even though millions have been there and seen it before you).

The list could go on and on I'm sure. The list could go on and on of things I don't like about camping too but the good outweighs the bad for sure. With that said, here's some of our pictures from the trip.These fella's are called 4-Horned Goats. One of the many things to see at this campsite. They were part of the "petting zoo" they had there and the kids got to feed them along with other animals. (I know, this was big time wilderness camping! So, not the most secluded campsite we've ever been to but fun nonetheless.) Jake and the other guys took the kids over to see these little guys that were about 100 yards from our campsite. The next thing you know, I can hear this really loud crashing sound over and over. I look over, and these goats are slamming into each other. It wasn't just little slams either. One goat would be in a corner of the the field and another in the opposite corner. Then, they would run, full fledged, and slam into each other. Kaori and I were watching from the campsite and I was honestly scared the goats were going to kill each other. Of course, Kaori brought it to my attention that I should probably be more worried about our kids and husbands standing a few feet from the action! That's how hard they were hitting each other. It was amazing. I've seen things like that on Animal Planet but never in real life and I didn't realize how much power they hit each other with. Imagine if they had turned and decided to run after our kids! So the next step of action was, of course, to get our cameras and run over for pictures... then maybe after the fact, be concerned about our kids. Come on, we have to have priorities! Sadly, by the time we made it over there, the action had stopped and they all looked like they were just friendly little 4-horned goats again.

BTW, during all this, Molli was crying because it scared her but since the other kids and husbands enjoyed it, Jake decided it was okay to stay there and let her. I'm sure she'll be tougher for it...
The Jones' and part of the Anderson family at the base of Chalk Bluff.
In the bottom right corner, on the dirt mound, is Jake and Gage with the dogs. There was a tree swing the boys were taking the kids on over there.
Molli when we got home from camping. The photo doesn't do her dirtiness justice. She was filthy!
She is so pickin' cute!
Gage wanted a picture of him and Molli finally noticed how incredibly dirty her lamb is getting. Lamby went camping with us too so I'm sure there are some bugs that need to be washed out.

Oh, I forgot to mention one other attraction at our campsite that was the best but sadly, I don't have any pictures of. Amongst the petting zoo, fully working bathrooms, convenience store, put-put golf and such, they had a park. The toys at this park were unique. They had a merry-go-round that had 4 tractor seats around the outside of it and you put your feet on these pegs and could pump them to get the merry-go-round to go faster. They also had this huge slide made out of barrels I think. But the best part was the huge adult sized swinging teeter-totters. They were rustic and the seats were made out of old tractor seats. Jake and Ian Anderson got on and were teeter-tottering, trying to see how high they could get. It was quite the picture to see 2 grown men doing this. I am still kicking myself that I didn't have my camera with me.

8 comments:

gregandlaura said...

Awwww, makes me want to go camping. Although a petting zoo, charging animals, and working bathrooms would make it even more appealing!! I can't believe how dirty Molli was. haha - sorry I haven't called you back yet, I will really try sometime this week!!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you all are having fun. camping i remember you all sleeping out in your backyard. bathrooms petting zoo( dogs), fun neighbors. miss ya

Hayley said...

looks like a good time! come camping in cali!!!

Janene said...

I think the worst part of camping is how dirty little kids get. But, I've gotta get over that cause I'm sure we'll be camping a lot. Molli is soooo cute and Luke pretends he's Gage's dad when he's playing baseball and he's the batter. I guess he misses softball days.

Natalie said...

Fun fun! I can't believe how long Molli's hair is (and dirty too)! Lexy asked if we could drive past your house a few days ago on her way home from preschool. Then she said, "Me and Gage used to have so much fun in his old house." It brought back all sorts of memories, and I was so sad to see someone else living there.

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

Hey there stranger! Your camping trip looks like fun-we miss those days camping with you guys! While you were camping we were playing in the snow!!! I'd have to say the smores and talking around the camp fire are my favorites! Miss you guys! I can't believe how grown up Molli looks! Time flies-how are you feeling by the way?

Anonymous said...

Hey Sabrina, realy quick question. I love how you have an update of when people blogged last. how do you have that on your site?

Jordana said...

So I just found out that my friend Kaori met you guys in Texas. And then I was just reading this and realizing I think you guys went camping together (not many Kaori's spell their name that way). Too funny, what a small world. I was such good friends with her sister Cathy growing up!