Yesterday, Jake came home and said, "have you seen all those butterflies outside?" I of course, had not been outside allllll day long so I just answered, "no" and didn't think about it. Well, we went out to get some ice cream last night and it really was kind of weird. I think I have seen maybe, 2 butterflies all summer and in the last day or two, I've seen hundreds. I don't know how many hit our windshield when we were driving. A few hours ago, there was a huge Monarch butterfly in our backyard, along with the many other little ones.
I was talking to my friend Jen on the phone, who has lived here a couple of years and she said that whenever there is going to be a big storm, these butterflies come out. I'm not sure if they are butterflies coming from the coast to get away from the hurricane or they just came out of their little houses or something but it's kind of a cool, although somewhat eerie, phenomenon. It's like, everyone is evacuating to San Antonio. There are 1000 buses here that will be picking people up from Houston and other coastal cities to bring them here for the next few days. Maybe the butterflies hitched a ride as well!
Our Bishop sent us an e-mail saying we better make sure we have enough water because storms like this usually leave us with out power for a day or more. So, being a faithful Latter Day Saint, I went to Costco and bought 1 (not 2, 3, or 4) case of Kirkland bottled water {Yup, way to think Sabrina, that storms not going to TOUCH that case of water - you're totally prepared in case the power is out for days!} Upon talking to Jen, she said she bought 4 cases! I thought, "hmmm, I only bought one, that was kind of dumb." I guess I thought we could survive on one single solitary case of 24 water bottles (although, I do remember thinking, "I just bought a case of fruit drink mix from the cannery so one case of water is all we need and then we can drink the fruit drink - keep in mind that it's a powder mix). Pregnancy brain...never ceases to amaze me.
Jen then reminded me that if the power is gone, so is the flushing of toilets. My next thought: "Well, I don't want to waste perfectly good drinking water on flushing a toilet!" Really, the audacity of some people. But don't worry, Jen told me of an idea that she heard from Kaori, who heard it from.... that what you do is fill your tubs up with water the day before the storm. Then, use that water to flush and do other water things. Genius!!! No wasted drinking water. And if the power doesn't go out - automatic bath water waiting all day for us to jump in! Smart. smart. smart.
So, after I make another trip to the store for some more water, we'll be set. That is if everyone hasn't bought it all already...
9 years ago
3 comments:
That is so crazy. When I was little I remember "the year of the butterflies." For three days our little town of West Jordan was swarmed with butterflies. You couldn't walk outside without them smacking into your face. I wonder what weird butterfly thing is going on here.
Hang the butterflies! What about this monster storm coming at my babies! I think you ought to pack your bags and come west where we only have blizzards and droughts and earwigs and moose in our backyard.
hello photographer,
where are your pics of this crazy situation? i want proof.
Post a Comment