There was a promise made to the saints of Kirtland that someday, their posterity will build up Kirtland again. Well, those days are at hand. This last Sunday, we had a "mini" Stake Conference where a new ward was created called the Euclid Ward. That makes 8 wards in the Kirtland Stake now, which is small considering in January we had around 12. But the Stake was split ... and now added to. We just keep growing and growing.
Although some members get tired of seeing so many students, there are some that would agree that this is one of Heavenly Father's ways of keeping his promise. Case Western Reserve University (the University Jake attends) has a tendency to accept a lot of LDS students as do other schools in the vicinity. There also seems to be a growing number of "working" LDS families that move here for jobs. It just keeps growing.
The more I read about Kirtland, the more I understand the sacrifices that were made here and how incredibly important this place is in the history of the church. This is hallowed ground. Even here on Oakmont Dr. in Lyndhurst, I wonder who tread on the very ground my kids play on, if there was blood spilt here for the sake of the church or if there was once another early LDS family, way back when, that laughed and played with their children right here, where I sit? It's an amazing place.
If you haven't yet read "Joseph Smith's Kirtland" by Karl Anderson, I highly recommend it. It's not a book of high adventure sure to peek your interest in the first paragraph, but a book that if you are truly wanting to learn more of the history of this place, you will be drawn in by the simple testimonies and not-so-simple hardships that these first settlers of the church experienced. It's a great book and not one to be thrown on the shelf to collect dust.
So, those are my thoughts of late. Also, I have a new calling, well actually I've been doing it for about a month now, but haven't really updated it on our blog. I am the Stake Young Women's Secretary and Jake has also been called to be the 2nd counselor in the Elders Quorum. It's actually been really fun for both of us to be so busy with church related work. We both love our callings so much. So much, that I'm praying I will learn to hate it by the end of the year so that moving from here will be a little easier (come on Jeni, you know I couldn't ever hate working with you and our other co-horts). In fact, I'm trying REAL hard to dislike my neighbors too(who are more like friends and family) just so that I don't have to admit how attached we really are to them (Just so you know Dorothy, that was off the record so it can not be used in any future conversations)! :0) Although, I think no matter how hard we try, our hearts are going to be ripped out of our chests when we move. On that note.... I bid you adieu!
9 years ago
2 comments:
Thanks for reminding me about the book Joseph Smith Kirtland's or is it Kirkland, I can't remember:)- I bought that book before we left and forgot about it. I believe my copy is in a box collecting dust! I'll be pulling that out and giving it a read. I'm thrilled to see the growth in the area!
I love to hear how much you are enjoying your time in "The Ohio," because, as you know, I love it so much too. I'm sure a piece of my heart still lives in that house with y'all.
Post a Comment