Friday, August 19, 2011

Bistro im Bahnhof

As I mentioned before, we have two landlords: a brother and his sister. The brother, Frank, owns this french restaurant in Puttlingen (about an hour away from Spang). Tonight was the last night for his summer live music concerts. Frank and his sister Tanya, asked us a couple of times if we would like to go. So, we did!

The restaurant is called Bistro im Bahnhof.



Duaine, Tanya's husband, let us know right as we got there, that we shouldn't pay any attention to the price of the food because it is free for us! We were surprised but grateful that Frank wanted us to dine for free. Food isn't cheap here. So, we started with some drinks.

Our choices are pretty much the same anywhere: Orange Fanta, Sprite, Apple soda, or Coke. The kids got Fanta and Jake and I chose water.


The water came in this bottle with the word "Apollinaris" on it. We just figured that it was a German brand. I watched our waitress pour it and it looked like it had more bubbles in it than usual. Oh well, I'm sure it's fine. So, we drink away.


Come to find out, it has lot's of bubble because it's carbonated water! I guess it's common to serve that as "water" here. I Facebook'd one of my German friends later and she told me it might be helpful if I get it with lemon or lime next time. She really likes it though so maybe it is something we will get used to. Until then, I might be drinking alot of Sprite.

Next, we ordered our food. Frank said the food isn't at it's best on concert days because he has to do a shortened menu so he can have alot premade for the crowd that attends. He encouraged us to come during regular business hours.


We ordered the kids "Rahmschnitzel mit Pommes Frites". It's a pork schnitzel with fries. We had that at another restaurant so we felt safe ordering it. I ordered "Dibbelabbews mit Apfelkompott". It's a potato pancake (with seasoning and herbs) type thing with chunky awesome applesauce on top. It was sooooooo good!!! (see picture below) And Jake ordered "Gratinierter Ziiegenkase auf Nassbrot and Salat". It was a salad with goat cheese baguettes. I LOVED the baguettes. Jake said the salad was so-so. I put a baguette on my plate for the picture. It really was very good.

The kids had a fun time playing on the old trains. There were a couple other kids there and Gage wanted me to ask them if they spoke english. So, I went around to all the kids and said "Sprechen Sie Englisch?" Every one of them shook there heads "no" and ran away from the crazy American lady trying to steal them! It really was like I had just told them "if you get in my car, I will give you some candy!"

Oh, how we need to learn German!!!



They had this live band playing in the back called "Brothers in Arms." I only recognized two songs of which I only know the words to one of them. Let's just say it starts out with "I want my, I want my, I want my... M T V!" Ring any bells? You kids raised in the 80's are probably shouting with joy because it was your favorite song when you were sporting the same hair as their Bass guitarist!

I was laughing (to myself as much as I could) because EVERYBODY was so excited about that song! Especially the 70-year-old lady wearing the shimmering gold sequenz shirt jamming as much as her body would let her. We literally were afraid she was going to over do it and have a heart-attack! Don't worry, we know it was okay to laugh at her because Tanya did too and if other Germans are doing it....then we know it's okay. That's our motto!!!


In all honesty, despite the cigarette smoke we inhaled the entire time, it was nice to be at a concert, with hundreds of people, enjoying music that isn't too thrashing, no swear words, and kid friendly.

My cute little family sitting on the stage.

I let Molli take my camera and boy did she take it! She took pictures of everyone and everything. Alot of Germans were laughing as she took pics of complete strangers, the balcony of the restaurant, the ground, and so much more. The following are a couple of my favorites.

Who is that crazy lady beckoning her child towards her? I'll have you know, that there were rows of people standing behind me when the music started. POP-U-LAR band I guess.




Good pics Molli!!

3 comments:

Diana said...

Fun! How is it you guys manage to find friends with connections wherever you go?? You have seriously got the touch.

BTW, let Molly take pics more often. It's nice to see pics of you, too. :)

Claudia and Ron said...

The potato pancake sounds and looks just funky enough that I'd really like to try it. Don't bother asking Dad though. He don't eat anything!

Becky Foster said...

Hey cool experience! Glad the food was good. Your kids are so cute. Hope they find little English speaking friends. So do you have internet then? I just got mine today, so we'll need to skype.