Thursday, February 17, 2011

Drum roll please...

Jake will be stationed at Andrews, AFB in Maryland. We are thinking they will want him there the end of July but until we get his orders, we don't know for sure.

This is what Wikipedia says about Andrews Air Force base:

Joint Base Andrews Naval Air Facility Washington, formerly Andrews Air Force Base, is a United States Air Force base located in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, situated 8 miles (13 km) east of the nation's capital, Washington, D.C.

Andrews was established in 1942 as Camp Springs Air Base and is named for Lieutenant General Frank M. Andrews (1884–1943), former Commanding General of United States Forces in the European Theater of Operations during WWII. Andrews is widely known for serving as the home base of operations for the aircraft that serves the President of the United States, Air Force One.[4]

The host unit at Andrews is the 11th Wing (11 WG), assigned to the Air Force District of Washington. A non-flying wing, the 11 WG is responsible for maintaining emergency reaction rotary-wing airlift and other National Capital Region contingency response capabilities critical to national security, and for organizing, training, equipping and deploying combat-ready forces for Air and Space Expeditionary Forces (AEFs). The 11th WG commander is Colonel Kenneth R. Rizer [5]. The Command Chief Master Sergeant is Chief Master Sergeant Anthony Brinkley.

6 comments:

Hayley said...

so exciting! tat just told me the news tonight. woo-hoo!

Sherrie said...

Congrats, that is exciting news! :) Good luck with the move!

Jan said...

You're gonna love it there!! So much to do and see -- and close to the beach! Washington and the surrounding areas are great any time of the year -- and you're close enough to Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York...so exciting...you never know...I may just show up on your doorstep!! Miss you guys!!! Congrats on the new duty station...

PalsRWe said...

On the Move again!!!!
Maryland sounds exciting, I have always wanted to visit and vacation there... I guess you can be my guinea pig and let me know if its worth it.
Good Luck adjusting to somewhere knew, its as wonderful as you make.
We Love Ya..

Chris and Kelli Ann said...

I love Maryland! It is so beautiful there! And you don't need lotion, although when I got out of the shower I never felt like I got completely dry. I loved every minute of it! But you seem to be getting farther and farther away from us

Natalie said...

That is so awesome! We just got back from DC today. So many things to do there. Are you guys excited about this?