Thursday, May 13, 2010

Horses

The lady that owns the farm we frequent is named Gloria. It's been really fun getting to know her and the people that work with her. One of them is named Lillian. We have had a blast with these ladies and are so appreciative of them opening up their "home" to us.

Recently, Lillian and Glory decided to start a riding stable. For the last few weeks, they have been bringing new horses from the auction to add to this riding stable. It has been my greatest pleasure to help them by riding all these horses and seeing who will be good trail riders. I used to train horses and show and miss it so much! It has been such a blessing to be able to go back to my ROOTS.

Animals are me. I am animals. But mostly, I connect with horses. Why? Why would Heavenly Father care to bless me with a desire to be around horses (and animals)? Honestly... I have NO idea!

We are taught that we are given talents. We are given talents to use them to bless those around us and to build up the Lord's kingdom. How do horses (and animals) build up his kingdom? I have seen them bless the lives of others, I can attest to that. But sometimes, I wonder how animals fit into my life and why it is so important for me to work with them? Especially in a world that will soon forget them completely it seems.

Sometimes, I think, "It's not a big deal that I be a rancher and have my own little 'herd' of animals someday. Besides, our military lifestyle will not be permissive to such a dream." But then, when I am at the farm, working with these beautiful beasts of the earth, there triggers this huge sense of belonging (okay, ya, I set myself up for that joke - I am a beast of the earth!) Really, it's this crazy sense of knowing... knowing that this is something important for me. Somehow, this is what I need to do and need to find a way to be a part of.

One answer I have come up with as I have watched my kids with the animals is, that my kids need to be there. They need to remember the small and simple things of this earth. They need to remember that Heavenly Father didn't just create man. He felt that it was extremely important to create beasts as well. Not just to feed man - I can't think that he would have made such beautiful animals JUST for our feasts. No, there's so much more to them than that. There is something so free and calming about watching the workmanship of the Lord in animals and especially horses. Although, some of them are just plain out comical!

Yes, I do believe it's important for us to remember the "small" creations, especially important for my kids.

Plus, they go to the farm and get dirty and become one with the earth (or atleast, I have a really hard time finding them because they are so dirty, they look more like earth than child!) and just have fun.

Whatever the reason, I know that the kids and I thoroughly enjoy Fiesta Farm.

I took a few pics of my favorites right now. This is Whiskey. They just bought him at the auction. He's a very tall horse and they think he is 19-years-old. I LOVE this guy. He is very sweet and cuddley (if you can imagine). However, the first day he got there, somehow he gouged the back of his ankle so we're waiting for him to heal to ride him and see how he'll work for the trail.
I love that I got him with his tongue out.
This is the SWEETEST little mini-horse foal. I love this little baby. She is about as tall as Molli and will walk right up to Daxlee and let her pet her. Seriously cute.I also love that such a cute thing could come out of such a funny mini-horse. This mama just has the funniest personality and an awesome fro to suit!

1 comment:

Claudia and Ron said...

You always have had a gift with animals. When you were little you played and teased with them so much we couldn't figure out why they loved you so - but they surely did! I'm so glad you have that cute little farm in your life and that we got to go see it. We love you!