Sunday, January 10, 2010

Very FIRST DANCE recital!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing more exciting in life than your daughter's dance recital. No really, it's true! It was so extremely fun getting Molli "dolled"up and letting her wear makeup. She was so excited and was trouncy-flouncing around the house before her dress rehearsal and her recital just thinking she was sooo beautiful - and she was! I think I might have enjoyed it even more than she did.

Molli is the only 2-year-old in the class of 3-4 year olds. She was kind of a test for Miss Megan, to see if a 2-year-old could hack it. It has been touch and go. I would walk into practice most days and she would be sitting on the floor with everyone dancing around her. Miss Megan would tell me, "I say, 'Molli, get up and dance!' But she just replies, 'I too tired!" Occasionally the report would be that she did really good as long as someone else didn't distract her. I would just reply to Miss Megan, "Really, she has the attention span of a gnat at this age but she still seems to love it."

Well, dress rehearsals the night before were not promising. The first dance, she stood firmly on the black "x" on the stage pulling her lips tight trying not to smile. She was adamant about staying on that "x"!

The second rehearsal was slightly better. She actually did the shuffle and would go directly back to her X and stand still trying not to smile...until a feather fell off. She picked it up and looking concerned, held it out towards me saying, "Mommy, my fetha' fall off!!" I tried to wave her on but to no avail.

"Oh well," I thought, "She is only 2 and I wasn't expecting much. At least she's having fun."

Well, the recital came (did I mention I had to tape her tutu up on her bum because it kept sliding down her belly? Yah, not helpful, but still cute.) She ACTUALLY danced! She still tried not to smile and was really focusing but she DANCED! It was darn cute. They were able to perform their dance twice - what a great idea because she definitely progressed.

Jake was a little teary-eyed at his black and white penguin beauty but I think partly because at the end, he caught his son, in the back behind the audience, performing Molli's dance! He caught it on the video at the very end. Who'da thunk, the Atwood's would have to delectable dancers!

7 comments:

Roukema Family said...

That is just adorable!

gregandlaura said...

SERIOUSLY! NOTHING CUTER!! I cannot believe she is old enough to do that!! I was laughing so hard at Gage! I'm sure Jake was proud. :)

MetroParks said...

Loooove it! She was AWESOME at finding her X. I want to eat her with cheese and crackers.

Claudia and Ron said...

She did amazingly well for such a little tyke. She seemed to know what she was doing - just a little bit later than the others. Gage also has some fine dance moves. Thanks for sharing!

Ashleigh said...

Yep, you for sure can come visit me this summer! But only if you do Molly's dance for me and then perform the chicken song for old time sake. I love how Molly made sure that she stood on her X. Sooo Cute! Gage is quite the litter dancer too. You and Jake have raised him well.

TOVAR said...

Molly was cracking me up during the dance. I loved her faces and giggled every now and then.

Sarah said...

HILLARIOUS! And she is a cutie! Great memories!