Did you know that Texas is the only state that can hang it's flag at the same level as the American flag? I'm not sure exactly how that happened or anything but it's ... interesting.
However, my FAVORITE thing about living in Texas, that still kind of makes me laugh, is this:
Every morning, Molli and I walk Gage into his school and to his classroom. If we get there a little late, we'll be walking through the school as every classroom is saying, "The Pledge of Allegiance." Which, I think is fabulous! Gage never said it in Cleveland (granted, even though he was at an Elementary school, he was only in pre-school). However, it kind of took me by surprise as I continued to listen. Instead of taking their seats after, "The Pledge of Allegiance," the kids continued to stand, with hands on their hearts, and said the following:
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."I hear it almost every morning (because I'm late pretty much every morning) and every time, it still kind of makes me giggle inside. I just can't get over it! I'm not sure why it's funny either. Why didn't I get to pledge to my Wyoming flag? I know it has everything to do with the United States acquiring Texas, but still, I just don't know if I'll ever get used to this.
One day, there was a book fair in the school library. So, after I dropped Gage off at his class, Molli and I strolled through the library and looked at some of the books. There was one other mom there looking at books too. While we were there, we could hear "The Pledge of Allegiance" being said in an adjacent room. All the sudden, this other mom stops, places her hand on her heart, and starts in with the kids (It's only Molli, me, and this lady in the entire library). Keep in mind that yes, we could hear it, but we couldn't see where the kids were at, let a lone a flag. I just kept meandering, wondering if I was the only one that doesn't think you should salute unless you are in the room and part of the group taking part.
Am I the only one that wouldn't have pledged during a time like this? I really am curious as to what the rules are. Are you supposed to stop and salute even if you aren't a part of the ceremonies? Interesting...
I do have to say though, that I am grateful to be in a State that honors it's country, isn't fighting to remove God's name from everything, AND let's it's students celebrate holidays!
3 comments:
I love this! My friend told me that her 5th grader got in trouble when they moved to Texas because he didn't believe he should pledge to the Texas flag because he was from Wyoming. I didn't fully understand until you shared this little pledge ditty with us. Interesting:-) I think there should be a flag in the room to pledge to atleast and I am sure I would have continued perusing the books with you.
K, this makes me laugh really hard. And I love the library story. Ha. Do I think it's weird?...Absolutely.
This is so true!!! My moms family is from texas and they are all "TRUE TEXANS". They live in Houston, Oak Wood, and Galveston. We are coming to Houston next summer...I will let you know when. Travis, Addy, and I are going to come down a few days early (before the whole fam comes) to go site seeing; we will have to come see you.
Post a Comment