Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Alcohol cooks out?

My sister sent me this article and I found it pretty interesting. Tell me what you think. Does this include things like Cooking Sherry? Or Red Wine Vinegar?
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695238087,00.html

2 comments:

Michelle Baird Designs said...

I'm not too sure I'm ready to give up my YUMMY rum cake just yet. It surely evaporates in the oven ;~}
Michelle Baird

Dave and Loralee said...

Word always was that alcohol cooks out by evaporating, and I think that would be the case if you were making a reduction sauce on the stove (lots of ingredients put together then simmers for a long time until most of the liquid is gone). BUT, I think that lately "they" (whoever "they" is) discovered that it doesn't cook out. However, that being said, I'll still use cooking sherry or white wine or red wine vinegar in my recipes b/c it's usually really small amounts, and I "feel" okay about it...but of course, like everything else, it's up to you to figure out how you feel about doing things like that.
But really, how often do we use those ingredients???
Happy Cooking!